3 Ways To Transform A Shift Dress

There are so many ways to style a simple shift dress but these tips can be applied to any dress! That's what I like about dresses. They are super versatile and can be dressed up or dressed down to suit any occasion at any time of the day. I've remixed quite a few dresses like this Zara one that I wore for an event earlier. When you buy a dress, you don't always have to wear it the way it is. It's vital to ask yourself when you're purchasing a dress "How many times can I reuse it or remix it with other things in my closet?" because let's face it, we all have dresses that we've worn once or twice and have somewhat exempted it from our wardrobe completely. Left in suit bags or cushioned hangers never to be used again. This was precisely my dilemma the other day when I was cleaning my closet and I found at least 10 dresses that I'd barely worn. Which is a pity considering they were in perfect condition. So what can we do? Maybe give them away, sell them or get rid of them entirely. Nevertheless, there is an even better option. Remix them in 3 easy steps -

The dress here is a beautiful colour-blocked shift dress from Vero Moda that I'd purchased during sale season i.e. June/July. I think shift dresses suit almost every body type and make you look skinnier than you actually are which is always a treat! Shoes were thrifted from Mahim's Wednesday market and kitty socks were a birthday gift from Forever 21.



1. Belts
An elementary trick in the "dress remix" handbook is the use of a belt. Now it doesn't really matter what kind of belt you wear(there are exceptions of the hideous kind) skinny, broad, coloured(again, colours that compliment your outfit) Belts instantly define your waist and cinch it in. Easy Peasy!

[Gold studded belt & blue belt - Blur Accessories, Wide belt & black buckle belt - vintage hand-me-down from my grandmother.]


2. Blazers/Cardigans
Adding a blazer or a cardigan over a dress instantly elevates your entire outfit to business casual or quirky chic.

[Green blazer - Pax, Colaba Causeway, Blue cardigan - Thrifted from Hill Road.]


3. Tops or Skirts
A top or a skirt can completely transform a dress. It helps to look at a dress as individual halves when you're styling it with a top or skirt. Midi skirts, Full length skirts, cropped tops/sweaters, t-shirts, blouses..I could go on! There are no limits!
Helpful Tip: If your top is a little too long for your dress, tuck the ends of the top under a belt like I did with my sweater!

[Dinosaur print sweater - Zara, Skirt - Topshop (Thrifted from Colaba Causeway)]

Another bonus would be to pair each option with the other. As in, wear a skirt with a blazer or belt a cardigan over a dress. The possibilities are endless, if you think about it!


5 comments:

  1. Chanced upon your blog and enjoy reading it! (;

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michelle! I'm glad you enjoy it :)

      Delete
  2. Whoa, how did I miss this! :-O Love the pictures and styling, especially the first shot where you are raising your three fingers (and the heart), so cool... I love your style, Pearl. I'm still waiting to get me some flat/punkster boots from Forever 21. I also need new fun stockings, hearts + polka dots! (I wish they had kitty cat or dinosaur ones.) + I think you'll love the F21 backpacks too, they're very us! I am eyeing the floral and nautical printed ones! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ro! I think Forever 21 this season is soooo good! I'm loving their socks & stockings. I have my eye on this floppy hat for quite sometime now but with all the gifts that I have to buy, I don't think I'll get my hands on it this year. Sigh. C'est la vie.

      Delete
  3. Very cute, I love all the belt looks!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for visiting my blog & taking the effort to write a comment. It means a lot to me!